Self-care, self-care, self-care… It is so hard to make time for an actual self-care these days. People are busy and always on their feet, trying to get the most out of the day. One person can work long days, the other might work nights and sleep all day. It is quite impossible to create a space and time for self-care but I believe that there is always a way around it.
For me self-care is a time in the day where you can just be with yourself and stop for a second. It is highly connected with hygge for me. I like to feel comfortable and cosy when I practise self-care so you won’t see me at the gym wearing tight clothing or working out as it is just simply not entertaining or calming for me. I like to sit and enjoy my company.
I created a little list of twenty simple ideas for self-care. You can do even during your break at work (some of them you can do at work but I wouldn’t recommend having a bubble bath in front of all your co-workers).
- Practise affirmations – one of my favourites and best ones when you have a bad day. Just try to give yourself some compliments or tell yourself that you’re strong and can overcome anything that’s thrown in your way.
- Read something educational – these days it is hard to find something very educational in a way we actually take something out of the article. Try to find some good articles about how to do something to make sure you will take something out of it.
- Read a chapter (or a page) of the book – no explanation needed. Just grab your favourite book and send yourself away in a mysterious new world.
- Write in the journal – not for everybody, I know, but it helps me to get through the day when I just pour my feelings on the paper.
- Practise mindful breathing – there are many apps that can help you with mindfulness. I use app called SERENITY that gives you various options to choose from.
- Stretch for 5 minutes – I don’t know about you but I need a good stretch after every 30 minutes I spend sitting. This one is a good one, especially for people who have a desk job and spend most of the time in a day sitting.
- Make yourself a cup of tea – who doesn’t like tea? Oh, you don’t? That’s okay, you can substitute for coffee or any other beverage that you enjoy (let’s just keep away from drinking wine at work. That could go very wrong).
- Get yourself a glass of wine – AFTER working hours, when you’re sitting down on your couch, alone or with your partner. Wrapping yourself in a blanket helps a lot too.
- Watch a comedy movie – or action movie, or adventure movie. It’s all up to you. You know what you like. Just try to keep away from the sad movies as they usually bring us down instead of cheering us up.
- Take a bubble bath (again, do not recommending doing that at work. Would be very awkward) – add good smelling candles and you’re ready for full experience.
- Do a little dance session – who doesn’t like to dance?! When we move, the endorphins in our body are woken up and we feel happier. So turn on that one song (you know which one I am talking about) and dance your heart out!
- Order takeaway – your favourite restaurant awaits!
- Make yourself a little spa day at home – face masks, creams, foot baths, all you can think of when you hear “spa day”. You don’t have to spend a penny for a homemade spa!
- Have a picnic date with a partner or by yourself (looking at the clouds can be very calming).
- Bake your favourite dessert (and then eat it all by yourself).
- Dress nicely for no reason (because you are the reason! Feel sexy in that pretty dress!)
- Turn off your phone and meditate or practice yoga – important thing to do when you use your phone a lot. Try to disconnect for awhile and see how it feels to stop receiving annoying messages or emails. Trust me, it is a bliss.
- Listen to podcast or good music (I won’t specify because we all have different taste, but you know what I mean – that music that makes you feel good and happy!).
- Take yourself out for a drink and a meal (totally recommend going alone instead of going with a partner).
- Buy yourself a present – whether it is online or in the shop, just treat yourself to something nice and fun!
It is all about your mental health and how you take care of it. Talking about mental health, if you’re following my blog you might have seen that I wasn’t posting anything for quite awhile and I would like to take a moment to tell you what happened and how I have been managing my stress and anxiety. It a very short story.
I can’t say a lot so they won’t get upset with me again, but my boss acknowledged that I have a blog and a company decided that is it a sensitive information that I am posting. I knew exactly what they were referring to and they decided to open an investigation about it. Taking my anxiety and stress level right now, my mental health went from 10 to -100 pretty quickly. I got nervous and stressed, I couldn’t eat or sleep normally. I was kind of a wreck. It just made my brain a scrambled mess. I was thinking about why would they make an investigation about it if it is my personal life and personal blog?
I just couldn’t be myself anymore. It still stresses me out as it is not resolved at the moment. I am still struggling about it and taking the situation I am at right now (I am being furloughed and I make way less money which makes me stressed about bills and my mortgage) it makes me want to quit my job. I am scared for my future. I was thinking about it for a long time as I want to make my own company from the comfort of my home. And now, I am 100% sure that I am going to quit. It just gives me too much stress to even think about my place of work.
I really want you to advise me on this one. I know most of you will probably not read the story part but the ones that do, please, tell me what you think about it!
Have a great day, my lovelies!